Tuesday, May 19, 2009

First official day by Michelle


After a VERY stressful day of running around trying to renew my passport (I found out my passport was expired on the night we were traveling) I was able to board my flight and join the team. So today was my first official day in Nicaragua, and all I can say is WOW. We had a reflection moment in the morning and then we had discussions on economy and another on the state of Nicaragua’s environment. These discussions were super informative and eye-opening. I learned so many things over the course of a few hours, things that most Americans never ever learn. After that, we headed to an extremely poor village, located in a garbage dump. The things I saw will probably never leave my memory. Emaciated looking kids and adults rummaging through garbage, small houses made out of aluminum roofs, and animals eating trash in the middle of the streets. From this experience, I learned that, as Americans, we have so much yet to learn. Corrupt governmental policies that have occurred(and continue to occur) have profoundly affected this country, which seems to have stopped in time. While other countries are thriving, Nicaragua still continues to struggle to catch up. This country has endured so much, from wars to natural disasters, that it seems that its progress has stunted. However, despite all the things against them and the immense poverty that surrounds them, Native Nicaraguans still manage to have a smile on their faces and hope in their hearts. And while progress seems slow, it is ultimately coming, thanks to countless people who are aware of the situation and are fighting for a change.

I can only hope that one day I can create a difference in this world that so badly needs it.

Overall, this experience has only just begun and already I feel my eyes opening and my ignorance dissipating, I can only hope to learn as much as possible in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment