Thursday, May 7, 2009

Here we go....

Hellooooo everyone! To be honest, I can't believe that we are leaving in 9 days... it is beyond surreal and I don't quite know how to prepare myself. When we were all chosen back in November, we were told that before we knew it, we would be on a plane going to Nicaragua and back then, it seemed like we had all the time in the world. It's funny how fast the time flies when you're distracted by millions of different things. But here we are. 5 months later.

Throughout the months, we have been fundraising and I won't say that it was the easist thing to do. Nonetheless, I think we made incredible strides towards our goal, especially with the economy being the way it is. But through the fundraising and our Team Nica meetings, I have met some of the most wonderful people and I truly feel as though we are a team.

Back in November, I had my doubts. I was nervous that the rest of the delegation was going to be much younger than me and that becoming a real team would be hard. You can't imagine my shock, my amazement, my growing love for this delegation. We all come from different backgrounds, cultures, grade levels, & interests but all of these differences make us a whole, a unique whole. My appreciation for everyone's energy and humor has been contiunously growing and I'm very excited to spend the experience of a lifetime with these individuals.

I wanted to be a part of this delegation because I knew that it would not only be a humbling experience and an avenue to learn, but it would spark inspiration. I aim to be inspired.... through people, events, experiences, anything. It's the one thing that puts a fire under our butts to make a change and to create something better out of what we have. We are forever changed from being inspired & whether you keep it internally or take action externally, we are from that moment, different.

From hearing stories about last year's delegation, I am on the edge of my seat and anticipating all that we are going to soak in and experience. What better way to act and educate others about the importance of basic human rights & social justice than to experience it first-hand. Phase 1 of this delegation is quickly coming to a close with Phase 2 being right around the corner (which is actually going to Nicaragua). I don't know if it has really hit me yet but the kind and inspiring words of Dr. Pennington and Dean Carter at yesterday's meeting solidified our purpose and the importance of going on this delegation. Learning more about fair trade practices from Stephanie and the experience of a member of last year's team, Andy, made it even more clear.

We're going.
In 9 days.
Holy bananas.
Here we go....

Peace & Love, (Paz y Amor? Definitely have to work on my Spanish)
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment